1. Darity W Jr, Hamilton D, Paul M, et al. What we’re doing wrong about closing the racial wealth gap. Samuel Dubois Cook Center for Social Equity, April 2018 (https://socialequity.duke.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/what-we-get-wrong.pdf).
2. Derrenoncourt E, Kim Ch, Kuhn M, Shularik M. The Wealth of Two Nations: The US Racial Wealth Gap, 1860–2020 NBER Working Paper no. 30101. Cambridge, Massachusetts: National Bureau of Economic Research, 2022.
3. Bassett MT, Galya S. Reparations as a public health priority—a strategy to end black-white health care disparities. N Engl J Med 2020;383:2101–2103.
4. Boen S, Keister L, Aaronson B.. Beyond net worth: Racial disparities in wealth portfolios and black-white health disparities across the life course. J Health Soc Behav 2020;61:153–169.
5. Himmelstein KEW, Venkataramani AS. Economic Vulnerability Among US Women Health Care Workers: Potential Impact of a $15 Hourly Minimum Wage. Am J Public Health 2019;109:198–205.
6. Gibson-Davis K, Keister LA, Genetian LA. Net Worth Poverty in Child Households by Race and Ethnicity, 1989–2019 J Marriage Fam 2021;83:667–682.
7. Brandolini A, Magri S, Kovane T. Measuring poverty based on assets. J policy Anal management 2010;29:267–284.
8. Green CA, Bovel-Amon A, Sandel M. Housing and neighborhoods as root causes of child poverty. Acad Pediat 2021;21:Addendum 8:S194–S199.
9. Ettman CK, Cohen GH, Galya S. Is wealth associated with depressive symptoms in the United States? Ann Epidemiol 2020;43(43)25–31.e1.
10. Fuller AE, Garg A, Brown NM, tripods and, The rest is SO, Gross RS. Relationships between financial hardship, resilience, and health care utilization. Pediatrics 2020;145(2):e20191975–e20191975.
11. Pollack CE, Chideya S, Kubin S, Williams B, Decker M, Smelets P. Should health research measure wealth? A systematic review. Am J Prev Med 2007;33:250–264.
12. Makarun L.K, Brown RT, Diaz-Ramirez LG, et al. Wealth-related differences in death and disability in the United States and England. JAMA Intern Med 2017;177:1745–1753.
13. Schwand H. Wealth shocks and health outcomes: evidence from stock market fluctuations. Am Econ J Appl Econ 2018;10:349–377.
14. Pool LR, Burgard SA, Needham BL, Elliott MR, Langa KM, Mendez de Leon CF. Association of a negative wealth shock with all-cause mortality in middle-aged and older adults in the United States. JAMA 2018;319:1341–1350.
15. Pollack CE, Kubin S, Sanya A, et al. Do Wealth Disparities Contribute to Health Disparities Across Racial/Ethnic Groups? J Epidemiol Community Health 2013;67:439–445.
16. Blakemore E. How the promise of the GI Bill was denied to a million black WWII veterans. history, April 20, 2021 (http://www.history.com/news/gi-bill-black-wwii-veterans-benefits).
17. Akbar PA, Lee S, Scherzer A, Walsh RP. Racial segregation in housing markets and the erosion of black wealth. National Bureau of Economic Research, It can 2019 (https://www.nber.org/system/files/working_papers/w25805/w25805.pdf).
18. Traub A, Rütschlin K, Sullivan L, Meshede T, Dietrich L, Shapiro T. The Racial Wealth Gap: Why Policy Matters. demonstrations, June 21, 2016 (https://www.demos.org/research/racial-wealth-gap-why-policy-matters).
19. Sykes B, Marotto M. Wealth from inequalities: mass incarceration, employment, and racial disparities in US household wealth, 1996 to 2011. J Soc Sci 2016;2:129–152.
20. Rothstein R. The Color of Law: A Forgotten Story of How Our Government Divided America. new York: Liveright, 2017.
21. Hamilton D, Darity W.. Can ‘baby bonds’ close the racial wealth gap in a putatively post-racial America? Rev Black Polit Econ 2010;37:207–216.
22. Faber JW. Racial dynamics of prime subprime lending. Debate on housing policy 2013;23:328–349.
23. Rugg JS, Albright L, Massey DS. Race, Space, and Cumulative Disadvantage: A Case Study of the Subprime Lending Crash. Soc Probl 2015;62:186–218.
24. Misera L. An Uphill Battle: The Massive Damage of COVID-19 on Minority-Owned Businesses. Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, October 8, 2020 (https://www.clevelandfed.org/newsroom-and-events/publications/community-development-briefs/db-20201008-misera-report).
25. Marcel LE, Hole MK, Jackson J, et al. Medicine against poverty through medical-financial partnerships: a new approach to child poverty. Acad Pediat 2021;21:Additional:S169–S176.
26. Case A, Deaton A. Desperation Deaths and the Future of Capitalism. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton Press, 2020.
27. Prager E, Schmidt M. Employer consolidation and wages: evidence from hospitals. Am Econ Rev 2021;111:397–427.
28. Cooper Z, He J, Mahoney N. Hospital unpaid bill lawsuits up 37 percent in Wisconsin from 2001 to 2018 Health Aff (Millwood) 2021;40:1830–1835.
29. PEW Charitable Trusts. The Poor in Philadelphia: Experiences Below the Poverty Line. September 26, 2018 (https://pew.org/2NyZSJG).
30. Hanani I, Elam J, Hearn R, Jones K, Maseru N. The impact of prenatal WIC participation on infant mortality and racial disparities. Am J Public Health 2010;100:Appendix 1:S204–S209.
31. Center for Budget and Policy Priorities. Policy Basics: Earned Income Tax Credit. December 10, 2019 (https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-tax/the-earned-income-tax-credit).
32. Parolin Z, Curran MA. Expanded Child Tax Credit Leads to Further Drop in Child Poverty August 2021 Columbia University, September 24, 2021 (https://www.povertycenter.columbia.edu/publication/monthly-poverty-august-2021).
33. Dalambert G, Fiks AG, O’Neill G, Rozin R, Jensen BP. Impacting Poverty with Medical Financing Partnerships Focused on Tax Incentives. NEJM Catal Innov Care Deliv 2021;2(4) DOI: 10.1056/CAT.20.0594.
34. Dill J, Duffy M. Structural racism and the employment of Black women in the US health care sector. Health Aff (Millwood) 2022;41:265–272.
35. Mata S, Chatterjee P, Venkataramani AS. The income-based mortality gradient among US health care workers: a cohort study. J Gen Intern Med 2021;36:2870–2872.
36. Elliot W, Song HA, Nam I. Children’s Small Dollar Savings Accounts and Children’s College Outcomes by Income Level. Child Youth Serv Rev 2013;35:560–571.
37. Tamborini CR, Kim S, Sakamoto A. Education and Lifetime Earnings in the United States. Demographics 2015;52:1383–1407.
38. Harris K, Rubenstein K. Closing the Racial Wealth Gap: The Asset Perspective. Clgh Rev 2011;45:74–92.
39. Zuckerman D, Parker K. Inclusive local sourcing: buying for people and place. Cooperation for Democracy, 2016 (https://healthcareanchor.network/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Hospital-Toolkits-Inclusive-Local-Sourcing.pdf).
40. Read R, Hendren N. The impact of neighborhoods on intergenerational mobility I: effects of children’s exposure. QJ Icon 2018;133:1107–1162.