A car is an expensive investment and animal accidents can easily damage your vehicle. That is why it is vital to have car insurance that offers protection against such disasters. However, some drivers are unaware of the coverage that can protect them from losses when they hit a deer. For example, what kind of insurance do you need to repair your vehicle after your car hits a deer?
How rules and regulations differ from country to country
Each state has its own set of rules and regulations regarding auto insurance, including potential discounts and coverage requirements. For example, in some states, if you have the state’s minimum coverage, you may not be covered in the event of a deer accident.
In most states, drivers are required to have liability insurance, but full coverage is not required. Check your state’s auto insurance rules and regulations to better understand if you’re covered in the event of a deer accident.
Deer is a fast wild animal that is unpredictable. These animals can be impossible to avoid. For this reason, auto insurers do not consider hitting a deer to be driver error; they see it as an inevitable accident. Some car insurance companies do not require a police report if you hit a deer and damage your vehicle.
Can your car insurance cover hitting a deer?
Depending on the type of car insurance, it may offer coverage if you hit a deer. Because of the impact of the accident on the vehicle, insurers classify this accident as a car accident, just like other accidents involving collisions with animals, objects, people or another vehicle.
As Erie Insurance reports, comprehensive insurance can cover damages if you hit a deer and damage your car. The insurance company will pay to repair the car. If you don’t have comprehensive insurance, you will pay to repair the car.
Keep in mind that liability insurance will not offer coverage when you hit a deer. Each car insurance policy pays for different issues. That’s why it’s vital that you understand what your cover provides. Comprehensive insurance coverage will not cover all the damage your car will suffer in a collision with another car. Remember that comprehensive insurance will only cover damage if you hit a deer; if you swerve to avoid hitting the animal and another vehicle, collision insurance should cover the crash.
Preventive measures to avoid hitting a deer
According to WildLife Collisions, about 80% of wildlife collisions involve deer, with bears, moose, coyotes, elk and other wildlife accounting for the remaining 20%. Although no one wants to hit an animal on the road, these incidents are common because many cities are close to natural habitats and wild animals have become popular near populated areas.
With a few tips, you can avoid hitting deer on the road. Although deer accidents are unpredictable, you can prevent them by knowing when these animals are most active. Deer are most active at dawn and dusk. During this time, the light is weaker and the animals are at peak activity. Again, deer move in groups, so when you see someone crossing the road, look out for more and drive slowly to avoid hitting the deer.
When driving in areas where deer are common, look out for yellow diamond-shaped deer signs that signal that deer often cross the road at that location. Another trick is to change your headlights when driving in an area where deer are likely to be encountered; the light will reflect off the deer’s eyes, making it easier to see these animals when driving.
Also, note the deer mating season, which occurs between October and December. Be alert during this period because the animals are most active, which increases the risk of collisions on the road. Installing or purchasing a vehicle with an automatic emergency braking system can help avoid hitting deer on the road.
When you see a deer, don’t look away; break calmly and firmly and stay in your lane. Turning can cause a serious accident because you may lose control. With these precautions, you can avoid hitting deer.
RELATED: How Automatic Emergency Braking ‘Sees, Thinks and Reacts’