1. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. The safety and quality of abortion care in the United States. 2018 (https://nap.nationalacademies.org/catalog/24950/the-safety-and-quality-of-abortion-care-in-the-united-states).
2. Major B, Appelbaum M, Beckman L, Dutton MA, Russian NF, West C. Report of the Working Group on Mental Health and Abortion. American Psychological Association, 2008 (https://www.apa.org/pi/women/programs/abortion/mental-health.pdf).
3. Biggs MA, Upadhyay UD, McCulloch CE, Foster GD. Women’s mental health and well-being 5 years after obtaining or being denied an abortion: a prospective, longitudinal cohort study. JAMA Psychiatry 2017;74:169–178.
4. Harris LF, Roberts SC, Biggs MA, Rocca CH, Foster GD. Perceived stress and emotional social support among women denied abortions in the United States: a prospective cohort study. BMC Women’s Health 2014;14:76–87.
5. Biggs MA, Gould H, Foster GD. Understanding why women seek abortions in the US. BMC Women’s Health 2013;13:29–29.
6. Biggs MA, Gould H, Barar RE, Foster GD. Five-year trajectories of suicidal ideation among women receiving or denied an abortion. Am J Psychiatry 2018;175:845–852.
7. Roberts SCM, Berglas NF, Kimport K. Complex situations: economic insecurity, mental health, and substance use among pregnant women considering—but not having—abortions. PLoS One 2020;15(1):e0226004–e0226004.
8. Biggs MA, Brown K, Foster GD. Perceived stigma of abortion and psychological well-being over five years after obtaining or denied abortion. PLoS One 2020;15(1):e0226417–e0226417.
9. Mat RS. Eliminating Structural Racism in Psychiatry: A Path to Equity in Mental Health. Am J Psychiatry 2021;178:592–598.
10. van Ditchhuizen J, ten have M, Count R, van Nijnatten CHCJ, Vollebergh WAM. Psychiatric history of women who have had an abortion. J Psychiatr Res 2013;47:1737–1743.
11. Steinberg Jr, Tschann JM, Fergerson D, Harper CC. Psychosocial factors and psychological health before abortion: the importance of stigma. Soc Sci Med 2016;150:67–75.
12. Moseson H, Fix L, Ragosta S, et al. Abortion Experiences and Preferences of Transgender, Nonbinary, and Gender Expansive People in the United States. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021;224(4):376.e1–376.e11.
13. Leight KL, Fitelson EM, Weston California, Wisner KL. Childbirth and mental disorders. Int Rev Psychiatry 2010;22:453–471.
14. Viguera AC, Cohen LS, Bufar S, Whitfield TH, Baldessarini RJ. Reproductive decisions by women with bipolar disorder following prepregnancy psychiatric consultation. Am J Psychiatry 2002;159:2102–2104.
15. Munch-Olsen T, Laursen TM, Pedersen CB, Lidegaard O, Mortensen PB. First trimester-induced abortion and risk of readmission to a psychiatric hospital in women with a history of a treated mental disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2012;69:159–165.
16. Cameron S. Induced abortion and psychological consequences. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2010;24:657–665.
17. Phelan JC, Link BG. Is racism a major cause of health care disparities? Annu Rev Sociol 2015;41:311–330.
18. Creer-Perry J, The strap of Araujo R, Louis Johnson T, McLemore MR, Neilson E, Wallace M. Social and structural determinants of health inequalities in maternal health. J Women’s Health (Larchmt) 2021;30:230–235.
19. German J, Jones RK, Onda T. Characteristics of US abortion patients in 2014 and changes since 2008. Guttmacher Institute, It can 2016 (https://www.guttmacher.org/report/characteristics-us-abortion-patients-2014).
20. Arnold SB. Reproductive Rights Denied: The Hyde Amendment and Abortion Access for Native American Women Using Indian Health Facilities. Am J Public Health 2014;104:1892–1893.
21. Schuster P, Khanal RC, Nyamato E. Relics of imperialism: US foreign policy on abortion in the age of COVID. Sexual reproductive health is important 2020;28:1824319–1824319.
22. Jackson FM, Phillips MT, Hogue CJR, Curry-Owens TY. Examining the burden of gender-related racism: Implications for pregnancy outcomes among college-educated African American women. Maternal and Child Health J 2001;5:95–107.
23. Angelotta K, Appelbaum PS. Criminal charges of harming children from substance use during pregnancy. Psychiatry Law J Am Acad 2017;45:193–203.
24. Raymond EG, Grimes YES. The comparative safety of legally induced abortion and birth in the United States. Obstet Gynecol 2012;119:215–219.
25. Add AN, Eisenberg DL, Valentine MC, Leonard J, Maddox KAY, Hoofnagle MH. The association between state-level abortion restrictions and maternal mortality in the United States, 1995–2017 Contraception 2021;104:496–501.
26. McDorman MF, Thomas M, Declserk E, Howell EA. Racial and ethnic disparities in maternal mortality in the United States using improved vital records, 2016–2017. Am J Public Health 2021;111:1673–1681.
27. Warrior N, Van Wye G, Huynh My, et al. Structural racism, historical redlining, and risk of preterm birth in New York City, 2013–2017. Am J Public Health 2020;110:1046–1053.
28. Liu SY, The Florentines C, Bailey Z, Huynh My, McVeigh K, Kaplan D. Structural racism and severe maternal morbidity in New York State. Clin Med Insights Women’s Health 2019;12:1179562X19854778–1179562X19854778.
29. Chambers BD, They were JT, Tanner A.E, Nichols TR, Brown-Jeffi S. Testing the relationship between traditional and new measures of county-level structural racism and birth outcomes among black and white women. J Racial Ethnic Health Disparities 2018;5:966–977.
30. Mangla K. Free Mp3 Download, Hoffman MC, Trumpf S, O’Grady S, Monk S. Maternal self-harm deaths: an unrecognized and preventable outcome. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2019;221:295–303.
31. Wallace M, Gillispie-Bell W, Cruz K, Davis K, Wild D. Homicides during pregnancy and the postpartum period in the United States, 2018–2019 Obstet Gynecol 2021;138:762–769.
32. Admon L.K, Shopkeeper TNA, Zivin K, Terplan M, Mhyre JM, Dalton V.K. Racial and ethnic disparities in the incidence of severe maternal morbidity in the United States, 2012–2015 Obstet Gynecol 2018;132:1158–1166.
33. Yablensky AV, Morgan V, Zubrick SR, Bauer S, Yellachich LA. Pregnancy, delivery and neonatal complications in a population-based cohort of women with schizophrenia and major affective disorders. Am J Psychiatry 2005;162:79–91.
34. Slomian J, Hongwo G, Emmonts P, Register YOU, Heather O. Consequences of maternal postpartum depression: a systematic review of maternal and infant outcomes. Women’s Health (London) 2019;15:1745506519844044–1745506519844044.
35. Hermon N, Weinstock T, Shaner E, Golan A, Walfisch A. Impact of maternal depression on perinatal outcomes in hospitalized women – a prospective study. Arch Womens Ment Health 2019;22:85–91.
36. Grossman D, Hendrick E, Fonts L, et al. Knowledge, opinions, and experiences related to self-induced abortion in Texas. Contraception 2015;92:360–361.
37. Ralph L, Foster GD, Reifman S, et al. Prevalence of self-administered abortion among women of reproductive age in the United States. JAMA Netw Open 2020;3(12):e2029245–e2029245.
38. Igen-Torko M, Yanov S. The critical role of midwives in safe self-administered abortion. J Obstetrics Women’s Health 2021;66:795–800.
39. Jan J, Joe K, Shan D, Luo H. Medical methods of abortion in the first trimester. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2022;5:CD002855–CD002855.
40. Frederiksen B. The sexual and reproductive health landscape in the US: current trends and impact of the pandemic. Commons Politics, April 21, 2021 (https://policycommons.net/artifacts/1596123/the-sexual-and-reproductive-health-landscape-in-the-us/2285892/).
41. Anderson EM, Cowan SK, Higgins JA, Shmuhl NB, Outlet CK. Willing but unable: Physicians’ knowledge of referral as a barrier to abortion care. SSM Popul Health 2021;17:101002–101002.
42. Stevenson AJ. The impact on pregnancy-related mortality of a total abortion ban in the United States: a research note on increased deaths due to remaining pregnant. Demographics 2021;58:2019–2028.
43. Korzmit K, Jatlaoui TC, Mandel MG, et al. Abortion Surveillance—United States, 2018. MMWR Surveill Summ 2020;69:1–29.
44. Finer LB, Frohwirth LF, Dauphin LA, Singh S, Moore AM. Reasons U.S. Women Have Abortions: Quantitative and Qualitative Perspectives. Perspect Sex Reproductive Health 2005;37:110–118.
45. Child welfare information portal. Child welfare practice to address racial disproportionality and disparity. Newsletters for professionals. April 2021 (https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubPDFs/racial_disproportionality.pdf).
46. Kaplan K, Brusilovski E, O’Shea AM, Salzer MS. Disparities in child welfare services and serious mental illness: results from a national survey. Psychiatrist Serv 2019;70:202–208.