US Open 2022: Bryson DeShambo says joining LIV is a “business decision”, wants to continue playing PGA Tour

BROOKLINE, Massachusetts – Less than two weeks after saying it would be a “risk” to leave the PGA Tour, Bryson DeShambo is now a member of rival LIV Golf.

And what happened?

“It was a business decision in the first place,” De Chambo said at the US Open on Monday, his first public comment since LIV announced he had joined the Premier League and plans to make his Pumpkin Ridge debut later this month. .

“That is all. This gave me a lot more opportunities outside of golf and gave me more time with my family and my future family. So for me, that was the solution. “

DeChambeau has long been linked to the Saudi-backed chain, but after a wave of top players repeated their commitment to the PGA Tour in February, DeChambeau also fell. Last week at the Memorial, he said he planned to continue playing in the PGA Tour, against the world’s best players, telling reporters about a potential leap: “I personally don’t think I’m in my career right now. where I can risk such things. “

The $ 25 million LIV inaugural event was already underway outside London, and reports say tournament officials have significantly increased their bids to players. De Chambo acknowledged on Monday that the financial commitment – which he said had been offered more than $ 100 million to join – had played an important role in his decision.


Those times the whole field from the US Open


“There was a lot of money and a lot of time,” he said. “I also have a life outside of golf.”

Part of DeChambeau’s future plans is a multisport complex (with an attached charter school) in Dallas, where he hopes to make room for long-distance drivers to hone their craft, with a view to potentially hosting the World Long Driving Championships.

A more immediate concern is what happens to De Chambo’s playing opportunities. Seventeen former and current PGA Tour players were eliminated last week after competing in the LIV event without issuing a controversial event. Commissioner Jay Monahan said all future LIV players would receive the same punishment.

“It’s not my decision to make,” De Chambo said. “It’s someone else’s decision to make it for me.”

BY Ryan Lavner

The smartest man in the room, Mickelson Monday, had no intention of taking unnecessary risks. He played it safe – and said nothing.

DeChambeau, who intends to play the rest of the LIV schedule from eight tournaments, has not yet resigned from his Tour membership and said he would like to continue playing in tournaments, mentioning in particular the Arnold Palmer Memorial and invitation . Although he was included in the field for the Travelers Championship next week, DeChambeau withdrew from the event, saying he did not want to be distracted.

When asked why he still wants to play in the Tour, even though he is a member of the rival chain, he said: “Because I want to play where people can see great fun. I want to deliver it wherever I am. ”

DeChambeau said he understood his decision would be polarizing for golf fans, and he also acknowledged the controversial source of funding for LIV through the Saudi Public Investment Fund.

“What happened was not great,” he said, “but they are moving in the right direction from what I see and what we have been talking about.”

After making what he called a “very difficult” decision he has been struggling with for years, DeChambo said he believed “it will turn out very well in the end”.

“At the end of the day,” he said, “it was a business decision for my family’s future and it gave me a lot of free time, so it clarified a lot about me.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.